Thursday 26 February 2015

Sink or swim #28days day27

Today was the school swimming carnival. Yes, it is a long day in the sun, yes I am often wrecked by the end of it, but such a worthwhile day. We get to see our students outside the classroom, outside the confines of the curriculum, having fun and where yelling is an expectation. Team spirit, camaraderie and fun are expressed in full.

Things ran differently when I was at high school in South Africa. Only the top swimmers got to swim, there was no opportunity to swim unless you 'made it'. This involved rigorous time trials and practices during weekly Physical Education lessons at the school pool, and these times determined your success, or lack thereof. Quite frankly, I didn't want to swim, as the other swimmers were so strong, that I was afraid to look a fool anyway, so I got used to and felt comfort in being a supporter...until grade 12 when by some miracle I made it into a race. I have no idea where I placed, I remember getting halfway across the pool thinking (breathlessly wishing) I was nearly at the other end and when I did finally reach the other side, I was pretty thrilled that I was still alive...when you are not a swimmer, 50m is no walk in the park lol. But, it was fun participating, hearing all the houses yelling.

Today, though, I loved. Anyone could participate. There were some kids using pool noodles, some who were almost stranded and in the midst of those up ahead, I saw some beautiful acts of kindness and support. Seniors, getting in alongside those less stronger swimmers, helping them, encouraging them and shouting even louder for them. That is team spirit. These kids entrusted to us are diverse, wonderful creatures and it is a great opportunity to enjoy seeing them outside the classroom. What a privilege to see the unity and enjoy getting to see different sides of the students. Oh and those who choose to miss these events, you really don't know what you are missing, it is a great day, heat and all.  

No comments:

Post a Comment