Tuesday 24 February 2015

No recipes for teaching #28days Day24

There are people who walk into a room and own it. They have an air of confidence, something that captures the crowd. I am not that person. I am an introvert, public speaking scares me and alone time gives me the energy I need to recharge. Your personality doesn't define your teaching ability, your passion does. Your desire to learn, grow and the ability to change and meet your students needs are also paramount. There are times that I feel I fail my students, but as I reflect, I am able to learn from it and as I develop, I can address these areas and continually improve. 
No student, no class, no school is the same, so unlike grandma's secret non-flop chocolate cake recipe that works every time, there is no recipe to follow to have the 'perfect' lesson. There will always be challenges and as a teacher, you have to roll with the punches, you need to adapt and change the 'recipe' each time. The recipe has more success though when it is shared with the students, the recipe works wonders when injected with love and passion. And, facing some challenges, well that helps along the way. I was recently asked to MC an event of about 50 people, I didn't hesitate to say 'Yes' (After reading something on Twitter last year sometime to say yes and think afterwards). I surprised myself, mostly because usually whatever I want to say falls out my head, along with any vocabulary and I usually shake. I was surprisingly calm, relaxed and in control. I decided that in order to grow, I need to accept challenges and I did, and it was worth it :) Maybe next I will try be the person who owns the room... ;) 

No comments:

Post a Comment